Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Critical Thinking Assignment Group Feedback

-->
Critical Thinking Written Assignment
Group Feedback

I have finished grading all of the Critical Thinking papers I received and I feel it is helpful to you if I give you some group feedback on what I noticed as I graded them.  Please note that the specific things I mention below may or may not relate to you.  In many cases, I have given each of you specific feedback as necessary.  I would prefer to deliver this group feedback in person so I could spontaneously answer your questions but since we don’t meet next week, a blog post will have to suffice. I will regularly give you this type of feedback, individually and as a group, to help you refine your writing and analytical skills, as well as be better equipped to meet future challenges inherent in your academic and professional pursuit. 

Your first written assignment on the topic of critical thinking helped me to get acquainted with your writing style, approach to decision-making and leadership. As I read what each of you wrote, I often saw glimpses of your unique analytical philosophy and I got to know you better as a result.

I was impressed by the way you embraced the concepts presented by Paul & Elder in this small booklet.  Many of you were very excited about the opportunity to apply new aspects of this very transferable skill personally. It was obvious that all of you read the material thoroughly.  Many of you provided personal examples to illustrate your answers.  This helped me recognize your level of interest in the subject matter and the automatic connection you were making between critical thinking and practical aspects of your life.  I encourage all of you to provide a few "real life" examples (professional or personal) to illustrate the concepts we will discuss in future lessons.  This is my strong recommendation but please don't overuse it.  To be sure, every point you make does not require an example.  In addition, be sure that any illustrations you include work to support the point you are making.

In addition, I encourage all of you to elaborate on general statements you make.  Some of you do this very well already and need no refinement in this area.  All of you had interesting insight into critical thinking and frequently I found myself wanting to hear more from you about some specific aspects you mentioned.  This balance between providing sufficient detail and yet remaining succinct will be even more of a challenge as we move to the Applied Theory assignments very quickly.



Suggestions for successful future assignments:

Please write your papers in a Word-compatible document before you submit it.  ANGEL has a difficult time interfacing with some other programs, including Apple's Mac-based software (I learned this the hard way).  Do not use the blank form at the bottom of the submission page to submit your paper to me.  I cannot offer specific feedback if you do it this way. 

For the sake of consistency, I prefer a 12 point professional font (Times New Roman, Cambria, Courier, etc) 1.5 spacing, with section headings and a reference page where appropriate.  Either MLA or APA guidelines will work. 
The choice to include bulleted lists, outlines or tables is up to you.  These are very acceptable to me for some of the future assignments in our course.  I will help you identify when this may be appropriate.  

Please name the documents you submit as follows:  Your first and last name followed by an abbreviated name for the specific assignment (for example, “Diane Waisner Critical Thinking”).  Your filename must always begin with your name so I won't lose sight of it after I download it into my system to grade it.  Many of you remembered to do it this way and I noted it but several of you failed to do this (I made a real point to discuss this in our first class).  Because this was your first paper for our class, I did not hold any of you accountable if you failed to name your paper this way, I did that myself.  However, I may subtract points from your future papers if this simple requirement is not adhered to consistently.  This may seem like a minor issue but it can be a real pain for me if everyone names her/his individual paper “critical thinking paper.”  Imagine trying to keep 16+ of those files distinguished in your own Word folder.

Pay very close attention to the required elements for each assignment as they are clarified and defined in the appropriate folder on ANGEL, rather than going by a more general discussion we may have in class or what is included in the summary Course Assignment table we reviewed together.  You will be held accountable for the elements of the assignment as they are described in the folder on our course site.  I specifically review every paper to make sure you answer my questions thoroughly, etc.  



Feel free to convert any Organizational Development tailored questions to your own field of study, if it isn’t OD (fundraising, project management, management, etc.), and answer them as is appropriate for that venue.  Please ask me if you have a question about this.

Finally, many of you are accomplished writers and this makes it easier for me to follow your line of thought when grading your work.  None of us is perfect grammatically, however, and proofing your own work thoroughly can be tricky.  I encourage you to watch your use (or lack) of commas, tense agreements within a sentence, and plural/singular agreement between the subject and verb in a statement.  These are the errors I see repeated most often. 

The following comment is directed to those of you who received a greater volume of individual critique from me as I graded your assignment.  Please don't be discouraged.  I spend a significant amount of time offering feedback in the hope that you will receive it in the spirit in which it is given.  I want you to be successful! 

Anticipating your success,
Diane

No comments:

Post a Comment